About Tulane Medical Center
Tulane Medical Center, an acclaimed teaching, research and medical facility,
serving the greater New Orleans area, began in 1834 as a small, medical
college with seven faculty members. The school was founded by three young
physicians, Drs. Warren Stone, John H. Harrison and Thomas Hunt, who had
moved to New Orleans and recognized the need to study and treat “the
peculiar diseases which prevail in this part of the Union,” including
yellow fever and malaria. At the time, there were only 14 medical schools
in the United States.
When the Louisiana Legislature established the University of Louisiana
in 1847, the Medical College of Louisiana was incorporated into the school.
The reputation of the medical college grew quickly, and its enrollment
expanded over the years leading up to the Civil War.
Click here to get more Information